Department of Management Services

Moving to a Different Agency

If you accept a position with another State Personnel System Agency, complete and submit a resignation letter to your current supervisor at least two weeks, or as soon as possible, before your last day.

  • It's important to name your new agency and include the date of your new employment to make sure your leave credits and state benefits are properly transferred.
  • To learn more about leave credits when you transfer, go to myWork and Life.

You are responsible for returning all state property to your current agency, for example, cell phones, computers, printers, credit cards, keys, ID badges, etc.

Update your personal information, if needed. Go to People First to update your home address, phone number and emergency contacts.

Update your health and life insurance coverage. If changing agencies does not result in a break in service, your state group insurance enrollments will transfer with you, assuming your new agency or university participates in the State Group Insurance Program. You experience a break in service if you are off the payroll for a full calendar month, if your position was SES/SMS or Career Service; or you were in an OPS position and you are off the payroll for 13 weeks (employed by a state agency) or 26 weeks (employed by a university). Check to ensure that enrollments in other voluntary plans are transferable. If you are moving to a different county within the state that does not offer your current medical or dental plan, you may be eligible to change plans.

Contact the Florida Retirement System Pension Plan or the Florida Retirement System Investment Plan if you transfer to a non-FRS agency to learn how your retirement benefits are affected.

Your Deferred Compensation Plan participation may continue if you remain in an eligible position unless you change your pay cycle. If this happens, contact the Deferred Compensation Office at 1-850-413-3162 or toll-free at 1-877-299-8002.

Employee Assistance Program is available to state employees (not including university employees), and members of their household at no cost.