Department of Management Services

Having a Baby

Consider Take Action
These state programs …
  • Consider any special healthy baby programs available through your health plan. Visit Health and Wellness to see if your health plan has a pregnancy education program.
  • Think about whether you need to take time away from work. See Leaves of Absence and Paid Leaves of Absence in the Work and Life section of this Web site. Discuss your leave plans with your supervisor as far in advance as you can and contact your HR office to review the process for going on leave.
  • Employee Assistance Program is available to state employees at no cost.
    • University employees are not eligible for our EAP, but most universities have their own.
Once the baby is born …
Think about your federal income tax withholding and direct deposit instructions
Update your health and life insurance coverage
  • Report a family status change within 60 days of the birth by visiting People First.
Think about your savings and spending account needs
  • You may choose to start or increase contributions to a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA).
  • Depending on your medical plan selection, you may also wish to start or increase contributions to a:

    Healthcare FSA If you have the Standard PPO or a Standard HMO
    Limited Purpose FSA and/or Health Savings Account If you have a High Deductible PPO or High Deductible HMO plan

You have 60 days from the time of birth to make savings and spending account changes; you may change your Health Savings Account contributions any time during the year.

All these account types can be viewed in greater detail on the Savings and Spending Accounts page.

Make any needed changes to your beneficiaries for life insurance or retirement plans
  • Go to Securian and follow the instructions to complete a beneficiary designation form.
  • Go to myFRS, and under Resources, click Forms and select the beneficiary form for your plan.
  • You may go to your investment provider's web site or the Deferred Compensation Web site or call the Deferred Compensation Office at 1-850-413-3162 or toll-free at 1-877-299-8002.
When it's time to return to work:
  • Notify your HR office and your supervisor of your return date based on your agency's notification guidelines.
  • You may want to re-enroll in benefits you may have dropped while on leave.
  • Notify others you work with to let them know when you are back at work.