Department of Management Services

Getting a Divorce

Consider Take Action
Contacting the Employee Assistance Program
  • The Employee Assistance Program is available to state employees at no cost.
    • University employees are not eligible for our EAP, but most universities have their own.
Updating your personal information
  • If you plan to change your name, contact your HR office. You'll need to provide your new Social Security card.
  • Go to People First to update your home address, phone number and emergency contacts.
Changing your federal income tax withholding and direct deposit instructions
Updating your health and life insurance coverage
  • You must drop coverage for an ex-spouse and/or ineligible stepchildren by making changes to your benefit elections within 60 days of your divorce or you may be responsible for ineligible claims that were processed. Call the People First Service Center at 866-663-4735 (for TTY users, at 866-221-0268).
  • Note: A copy of your divorce dissolution decree will be required prior to the change being processed.
Making changes to your beneficiaries for life insurance or retirement plans
  • Go to Securian and follow the instructions to complete a beneficiary designation form.
  • Go to myFRS, and under Resources, click Forms and select the beneficiary form for your plan.
  • Go to your investment provider's web site or the Deferred Compensation Web site or call the Deferred Compensation Office at 1-850-413-3162 or toll-free at 1-877-299-8002.