Department of Management Services

Death in the Family

Consider Take Action
These state programs …
  • Administrative leave. You may receive up to 16 hours off with pay in the event of the death of your spouse and on the death of the parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, children and grandchildren of either you or your spouse. Talk with your supervisor about taking time off.
  • Employee Assistance Program is available to state employees at no cost.
Thinking about your federal income tax withholding and direct deposit instructions
Updating your health coverage
  • You may enroll yourself and/or your dependents in a state health plan, for example, if your spouse was covering you at the time of his or her death.
  • You also may end coverage for a deceased spouse or child and make related changes in your Savings and Spending Account(s).
  • It is important to make any changes at your earliest convenience, but always within 60 days. Update your coverage by calling the People First Service Center at 866-663-4735 (for TTY users, at 866-221-0268).
Making any needed changes to your beneficiaries for life insurance or retirement plans
  • Go to Securian and follow the instructions to complete a beneficiary designation form.
  • Go to myFRS, and under Resources, click Forms and select the beneficiary form for your plan.
  • You may go to your investment provider's Web site or the Deferred Compensation Web site or call the Deferred Compensation Office at 1-850-413-3162 or toll-free at 1-877-299-8002 to make any necessary changes.