Department of Management Services

Frequently Asked Questions - Active Employees

  1. What is Open Enrollment?

    Held in the fall, Open Enrollment gives you an opportunity to review benefit plan options and make changes for the next plan year, which is Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. All benefits chosen during this time take effect on Jan. 1 of the next calendar year. Any changes you make will remain in effect for the entire calendar year if your premiums are paid on time and you remain eligible, unless you make changes because of a Qualifying Status Change (QSC) event. Retirees and COBRA participants do not have all the plan options employees have. 

  2. What if I don't want to make any changes to my current benefits, including my savings and spending account(s)?

    Your elections will automatically roll over, including contribution amounts for all savings and spending accounts (HSA, MRA, DCRA). However, you should always review each of your options and the eligibility and enrollment of your dependents to be sure everything is correct for the next plan year that begins Jan. 1. 

  3. How can I add, change or cancel my employee health insurance plan during Open Enrollment?

    You can make changes online at the People First website, which is usually available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Be sure to turn off your Pop-up Blocker so you can see and print your confirmation statement. You can go into People First as many times as you want during Open Enrollment to look at your benefit elections and/or make changes. You can also call the People First Service Center toll free at (866) 663-4735 and speak with a representative to make your elections. Hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time.

  4. When will the elections that I make during Open Enrollment take place?

    The changes you make during Open Enrollment are effective on Jan. 1 of the next year.

  5. What is a benefit fair?

    Benefit fairs are held throughout the state during Open Enrollment. They give plan participants an opportunity to talk with Division of State Group Insurance (DSGI) and People First staff, as well as representatives of the various insurance and benefit plans. 

  6. If I miss the Open Enrollment deadline for making benefit changes or new elections, is there an extension?

    No. You must wait until the next year's Open Enrollment period; however, if you experience a Qualifying Status Change (QSC) event and request a change within the QSC window, you are permitted to change a benefit election. Note: To make an election change based on a QSC event, federal law requires the event to result in a gain or loss of eligibility for coverage and general consistency rules must be met. For example, if you have family health insurance coverage and you get a divorce and no longer have dependents, you may change from family to individual coverage. However, you cannot cancel enrollment in health insurance because the QSC event only changes the level of coverage eligibility. Cancellation would not be consistent with the nature of the QSC event.

  7. I elected an insurance plan when I first began my employment with the State of Florida. When can I change to another insurance plan?

    You can change during Open Enrollment or if you experience a Qualifying Status Change (QSC) event, as defined by the Internal Revenue Code, between Open Enrollment periods.

  8. I lost my People First user identification number that allows me to access my benefits through the website. Can you send me the number again?

    See your manager or your agency personnel office to get your People First identification number. 

  9. I don’t remember my password to log in to the People First system. What can I do?

    Go to People First and click "Forgot Password" to reset your password and for more information.

  10. Does the State Group Life Insurance Program affect my income tax responsibilities?

    The State Basic Group Life Plan is a pretax employee benefit plan, and the premiums are not subject to federal income tax or Social Security taxes. However, some employees are subject to the imputed income provisions of Section 79 of the Internal Revenue Code. Employees have imputed income added to their regular wages for the portion of group life insurance coverage that exceeds $50,000. The imputed income is added to regular wages to determine taxable income. The amount of imputed income is determined from value tables published by the IRS based on the employee's age and cost of the coverage. 

  11. What happens when I become eligible for Medicare and I am still employed?

    If you are actively employed, you should defer Medicare Part B until you terminate employment without risk of penalty. As an active employee, your group health insurance is primary. Once you terminate employment, you must immediately notify the Social Security Administration to pick up Part B to avoid a penalty.

  12. How long does it take to receive a reimbursement check from my Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)?

    Generally, you receive your Healthcare FSA or Dependent Care FSA by direct deposit or check within two weeks after the claim and required documentation are received, approved, and processed.

  13. I am a faculty member and I am usually off during the summer. If I decide to work during the summer, will reimbursement deductions be withheld from my salary?

    Any state paycheck received by a savings and spending account participant will be subject to deductions until the designated annual amount is satisfied. There are no provisions to adjust payroll deductions for flexible spending accounts. 

  14. I have individual coverage and I am expecting a baby. When should I add my baby?

    You have 60 days from the birth of the child to enroll in family coverage. The effective date of coverage can be retroactive to the beginning of the month in which the child is born and premiums will be due accordingly. To have the child's effective date retroactive to the date of birth, you must call the People First service center.

  15. If I terminate my employment, can I keep my benefits?

    You may continue some benefits under COBRA, a federal law, which allows you and your covered family members to continue health, dental, vision, healthcare FSA and HRA coverage for up to 18 months if you are enrolled at the time of termination, and possibly longer under certain circumstances. To continue other supplemental plans, you must contact each supplemental insurance company for the continuation forms.

  16. What happens if my dentist drops out of the dental plan that I have chosen?

    You must choose another dentist in your dental plan’s network. Providers may drop out of a plan at any time; this is not a qualifying event to change plans.  

  17. I am enrolled in a Cancer or Hospital Intensive Care plan that requires medical underwriting. What is the effective date for this plan?

    Your coverage is effective after the medical underwriting has been approved and the deduction of a full month’s premium has been withheld from your paycheck.  

  18. How can I enroll in a plan that requires both a State of Florida enrollment form and a company application?

    All changes must be made through People First. If you only make these changes through your insurance carrier, the changes will not take effect. You should first enroll through People First; then send your company application to the company or agent. The company will notify People First when your application has been approved.

  19. What vision plan options are available?

    Exam Plus, our full coverage plan, is the only vision plan available. 

  20. Where can I find forms?
  21. Where do I send forms and required documentation?

    People First Service Center
    P.O. Box 6830
    Tallahassee, FL 32314


    Upload in People First

  22. Where do I send my premium if I miss a payment?

    Make your check payable to the Division of State Group Insurance (DSGI), write your People First ID number on it, and send it to:

    People First Service Center
    P. O. Box 863477
    Orlando, FL 32886-3477